The 4 truths and one lie about myself, with the lie revealed:
- My tenth grade teacher called me the Emily Dickinson of our class. When I showed him my next poem, he took a friend aside to inquire about my mental health. I laughed. “Poetic license, dude!” **TRUE. My first lesson that readers often confuse the speaker of the poem with the poet herself, that poetry occupies a middle ground between fiction & nonfiction that the average reader finds challenging to navigate.
- While working during the Thanksgiving weekend as the manager of a mall store in my early 20′s, I gave directions to one of my favorite soap opera stars. I didn’t act weirdly or ask for his autograph, just smiled big so he’d know I knew, see how cool I am? **TRUE. My introduction to soap operas was my grandmother, who lived with us the last couple years of her life. The soap she never missed, which became the soap I never missed (until I moved away & stopped watching soaps) was “Another World,” and my favorite character was Cass Winthrop, a smart-ass lawyer played by Stephen Schnetzer. He apparently had family in the area that he was visiting for the holiday weekend, and they came to the mall. I can’t remember where I gave him directions to, but indeed I smiled a mile wide. I’m smiling now. I love that guy.
- I have a heart-shaped uterus. Is that TMI? **TRUE, due to a small septum.
- My twin brother was born 4 minutes before me. My mother didn’t know she was having twins until after he was born. “Whoops! Guess what…!” **FALSE. I have a twin, and my mother didn’t know she was having twins until the first one was born, but the first twin born was ME.
- I haven’t written a new poem since December. **TRUE, sadly enough. Between trips to my mum, AWP, and illness, nary a poem has been written. I’ll amend that soon. I hope.
There you have it. So the winner is Donna! And the runner-up, for her kind, if misplaced, benefit of the doubt, is Victoria. Both of youse email me your snail mail addresses ( mgauthier DOT hunger AT gmail DOT com ) and I’ll send you something wonderful next week.
Leave a Reply